The Danish Ministry of Defence (MoD)
The Danish Ministry of Defence (ministerial department) deals with a wide range of functions and assignments - from serving the Danish Minister of Defence
to the overall management of our agencies.
The Ministry of Defence works for peace, freedom and security – nationally and internationally. The Department has two main functions:
- We serve the minister of defence and establish the basis for the minister to create a visionary Danish policy in the field of defence, security and emergency management. The ministry’s functions are therefore of a distinctive political nature.
- We head and supervise the combine of the Ministry of Defence. We ensure the execution of the policy of the minister of defence. We also supervise a responsible planning of the economy and activities in the agencies within the politically stipulated framework.
To ensure optimal performance, the Department is organised into different units with each their areas of responsibility. The Department staff totals about 270. The combination of civilian and military employees contributes to a generally positive dynamic, and boosts the opportunity for professional interaction.
The Permanent Secretary
is the head official. He is in charge of five divisions with subjacent departments. Each division has a head of division, and each department has a head of department.
Minister’s Private office and Executive Secretariat /
Press and Communication
Legal Office /
International Law and National Law
Security Policy and Operations
- Defence and Security Policy
- Security and Cyber
- Stabilisation and Operations
- Emergency Management and Home Guard
Programs and Investments
- Acquisitions and Capability
- Infrastructure, Environment and Energy
- Strategic IT
Budget and Finance Division
- Finance (MDPA Finance, DHG Finance and DEMA Finance)
- Process optimisation and support
- Analysis and Business Optimisation
- Corporate SAP
- DCD Finance
- DALO Finance
Corporate HR and Services Division
- Strategic HR
- Service and Administration
- HR Partner (MDPA)
Download the Organisation chart of the Danish MoD as PDF (both in Danish and English versions)
This article in Danish